Wednesday 27 August 2008

Ready Made Authentic Video materials For ESL EFL

If you like using authentic video materials with your students but don't have the time to put together the materials then this could be the site for you.

Yolango has a huge collection of short video clips from a whole range of sources and they come complete with transcription and a range of language learning activities for each clip.

Anybody visiting the site can watch the clips and read the transcriptions, but if you register and log in you can also get access to 'fill in the blank', comprehension questions and vocabulary definition type exercises. Students are graded on these exercises and get the results on a scoreboard.

This is a great way to set motivating homework for your EFL ESL students and make sure that they do it and see how well they do it.

The collection of clips available is very varied and there are many that would be ideal for Business English students too.


When I first checked this site out a few months back there were some clips that were of a more adult nature, but I can't see these anymore. All the same be careful with less mature students. Certainly a great site for adult learners though.

Related postings:


Best

Nik Peachey

2 comments:

GilMattos said...

Hi Nik,
I have been trying to take a look ay Yolango but I can't. When I click on the link I got to the Yappr site. Can you help me?
Thanks

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Gil,

I suspect that Yolango has either been bought out by Yappr or that they have become victims of the economic crisis. It's a shame as I liked their site a lot, but Yappr is very similar and if it results in a hybrid of the best of both, then that will be a good result for us.

Best

Nik